Secondly, God taught me a lesson during this race. I don't usually talk about my faith on this blog, but I really want to tell this story because it was such an poignant moment for me. Susannah hadn't been sleeping well and I was really tired at the start of the race. I decided to try for my goal time of 1:55 anyway. After the first 5 miles, I was feeling really heavy and tired and starting to doubt that I would break 2 hours when, up ahead of me, I spotted a man who was running with the easiest gait. He didn't seem at all fatigued and he was wearing a shirt that said "Running Gloire a Dieu" on the back. (This means running for the glory of God.) Some of you are going to think I'm crazy, but I felt God telling me that if I just stayed with this guy for the rest of the race, I would accomplish my goal. And I did!! As soon as I started running with this guy, I felt my fatigue lighten and the rest of the race was fun. I finished in 1:54. The reason this was so significant for me though, didn't have anything to do with the race. The race was just a way for God to remind me that if I stick with him and trust his timing and his provision, I can relax and enjoy the crazy ride that is this life. As some of you know, the past month or so have been pretty crazy for our family. And I think it was starting to wear on me. But after the race, I had new assurance that I serve a God that is by my side through the good times and the bad. Okay, I'm finished with my tangent.
Here is my pacer with his cool t-shirt.
This guy totally thought I was insane by the way. He was friendly, but seemed a little overwhelmed by my enthusiasm. I'm pretty sure when he put that t-shirt on that morning, he had no idea what kind of impact it was going to make on this crazy American girl.
Finally, and most importantly, this race was special for me because of the amazing women who have run with me during my time here in Strasbourg. When I left Jacksonville, I left two of my closest friends. They were my running partners, my prayer partners, my friday girl's night out partners, and my shopping partners. I never even thought to pray that God would bring me similar friends in Strasbourg. I thought that finding a church was the most we could hope for. But Christian friends who also ran?? Come on, in France???? Never going to happen! But, like always, God surprised me with his faithful provision. So, this blog entry's main purpose is to tell these women just how much they mean to me and just how much I'm going to miss them.
Here I am with Jill and Pattie, my most faithful training partners. (They even do dreaded speedwork with me!)
And here is the entire group. (Except Louise......why weren't you in there??) From left, Heidi, Pascale, Pattie, Jill, and Danielle.
Danielle, you and Stephanie were always so sweet and patient to let me speak french with you during our runs. And I'm so impressed with the work that you did for the charity in Brazil. I know you will bring so much love and joy to those kids this summer!
Pascale, so beautiful on the inside and out. I should thank you too for your patience with my french. :)
Louise, sorry you aren't in this picture, but I have to thank you for your humor.....it was such a good distraction on those days when I was tired. Don't forget that I'm staying in your apartment in NYC when we run that marathon together.
Heidi, thank you for showing me what it means to trust God with every detail of your life. Can't wait to celebrate your 30th in Cali!!!
Jill, your perseverance, positivity, and strength, especially in the face of adversity, is such an inspiration to me. Without your and Pattie's advice and support, I may not have made it through as a new mom in a foreign country. And, of course, thanks for springing for the cool GPS watch and for letting me borrow it. :)
Pattie, I can't find words, so I'll just say this: You are and will forever be my Alice.
I thank God for each of you and can't wait to get back to Stockholm so we can have our last few "long runs" together.
What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it. I will keep you in mind as I run my next race. You are an inspiration! Miss you!
ReplyDeleteOk, I just realized that my post name is strange...this is because another teacher and I created a blog for our trip to Italy and apparently Google has used this as my Profile now. Oh well!
ReplyDelete