Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Big Girl

This week marked the 4 week anniversary of my surgery.   I am still shocked and grateful by my speedy recovery.   I seem to regain a little more energy and flexibility everyday and am starting to really feel like myself again.   (Exhibit A:  I made my first to-do list last week.   Peter noticed it and we both recognized the moment as a major sign that I was back to my old self.)    I went to my post-op appointment on Monday and the doctor was really pleased with my x-rays and my incision.   He cleared me to swim and use an elliptical machine so I'm hoping to start that next week.   I do have to wear my brace for two more months though, and my "no bending, no twisting, no lifting" restrictions are still in place too.   The restrictions are starting to really feel like restrictions now that I have my energy back.   Before I didn't want to vacuum or do laundry or unload the dishwasher because I was too exhausted, but now that I feel better I'm having to do lots of deep breathing and praying to stay calm and follow doctor's orders.   

While we are so happy with my recovery, that is not the headline news story of the Mallory clan this week.   The top story in our home is definitely Susannah's success with the big girl potty.   We started last Monday and used a plan that Nancy found on pinterest.   It is basically the timer method.   We started by putting her on the potty every 15 minutes and this week we have moved it back to every 30 minutes.   Everytime she sits on the potty she gets a sticker for her potty chart and if she gets an M&M for every tee-tee and a cookie for every #2.    Pinterest called it the "Three Day Method," but for us it has been more like 10 days.   We had lots of accidents the first 2 days and then everyday after that she has improved little by little.  Now, she is like Pavlov's dogs......as soon as she hears the timer on the iphone go off, she jumps up from whatever she is doing and declares, "Potty Time!" before heading to the potty.    We started leaving the house this weekend with little 30 minute walks to the park and we even went to a birthday party on Saturday.   She stayed dry each time!!!    And this week, today will be her third "dry all day" day.    She still needs to be watched like a hawk and there is about a 15 second window from when she says, "tee-tee" to when she is going to do just that.   So we know that we aren't completely out of the woods yet, but we are so happy with her progress and so proud of her.   Also, I must give credit where credit is really due, and say a huge THANK YOU to Aunt Nancy.   She has been so patient and so calm and so consistent and I know that is why Susannah has done so well.     Here are a few photos from the week.......


Susannah on her throne........Our bathroom is tiny, so her potty is right outside the bathroom in the hallway.   I guess we will eventually move it back into the actual bathroom once she is a little more confident.   And notice the ipad......the Thomas the Train app also deserves significant credit for our potty training successes.   

Legos are most definitely Susannah's favorite toy right now.   She loves to build towers and houses.    

Monkey still goes everywhere with us......including the birthday party on Saturday. 
Walking to the birthday party.......our first diaper-free social event!! 
The party was adorable and had a Robin Hood theme.   

Obviously her mama's daughter, Susannah couldn't get enough of the green icing from the cupcakes.  

Here is the birthday boy Chaz, opening his presents.   

In other news, Meadow went to the beauty parlor for a much needed bath and de-shedding.   She  was very proud of the St. Patrick's Day bandana they gave her.   

Susannah still considers Meadow her best friend and loves to share her toys with her.   Here they are playing legos together.   It cracks me up how Susannah puts the toys right next to Meadow's paws like she is really going to start building something.   
That is it for us this week.    Thanks again for all the prayers.   God is answering and we are so happy to have the worst behind us.  

2 comments:

  1. I love that the potty is outside the bathroom. We have only recently made it a hard and fast rule that Grady's pot is no longer allowed in front of the T.V. in the living room... And thanks to the Kindle Fire for aiding the transition to #2 on the "Big Potty"! Can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Aunt Nancy want to come work on Potty Training in Florida this winter??

    ReplyDelete