Another week has passed and we are definitely still in the honeymoon phase of our new life here. Now that we are settled, we just feel so blessed. Peter really loves his new job, we absolutely adore our new neighborhood and apartment, and Susannah is all set to start preschool at a protestant German preschool that is only one block from our apartment. I am meeting friends through bible study at church, MOPS on base, and my German class, and have crossed fingers that Susannah will be my in for some neighborhood friends from her new kindergarten class. So to all of you faithful family members and friends who prayed for our transition, THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts. God answered and we are so grateful.
In my last post I promised beer-fest pictures so here they are. And Grandmama, I promise I didn't drink
all the beer that I am holding in these pictures. ;) Most people have heard of the famous Oktoberfest that takes place in Munich. Well, Stuttgart has something similar called Volksfest. The best way I can describe it by American standards is a huge state fair. Just like our fairs in the states, there are lots of scary carnival rides (although the ones here are higher and faster and much more dangerous looking), lots of food booths selling candy and crepes and pizza and pretzels, ect, lots of games with huge stuffed animals for prizes, and lots of crowds. The only difference is that at Volksfest, they also have several huge football field sized beer halls. These are full of picnic bench style seating and tables with a stage in the middle. They serve traditional German food and serve HUGE beers and everybody stands on the tables and sings along to the band with their beers sloshing. It is a riot and so fun to experience.
We went twice, once on family day with Susannah, and once without Susannah. Both times were lots of fun. Here are the pictures.....
 |
| First stop was a visit to the balloon vendor to buy a Dora balloon. |
 |
| Just like a state fair, right? As you can tell from the look on Susannah's face, she was NOT interested in riding any rides. |
 |
| We were able to get into a beer hall with no problem because it was family day and 5 pm. On weekend nights, it is impossible without pre-purchased tickets. |
 |
| The hearty food they serve to help soak up all the beer in your system. |
 |
| This is the traditional clothing that all the servers wear. At least 25% of all the people at the fest wear these get-ups too though. Especially the teenagers and college aged kids. I find it refreshing that the young people here aren't "too cool" for tradition. |
 |
| Susannah LOVED dancing to the band. |
 |
| They played "Achy Breaky Heart." I'm serious. |
 |
| Susannah danced the entire time we were in the tent. |
 |
| Dancing with Dora. |
 |
| Peter had to do his fatherly duty and win Susannah a prize. |
 |
| World's Strongest Man |
 |
| Thanks Daddy! |
 |
| The entire thing is such an interesting mix of beautiful rich tradition and tacky neon lights. |
 |
| Thankfully, we have already found an amazing babysitter, so Peter and I were able to go back a few nights later and it was such a fun date night. |
 |
| It was freezing, but tasting all the different food vendor fares and the beer kept us warm. This was a HUGE wine barrel that I'm sitting in. |
 |
| This was the band that played in the tent we were in. They were hilarious. They played ACDC and would hold up signs that said "Air Guitar" or "Head Bang". The German crowd LOVED it and sang along, following all the instructions. Peter and I were beside ourselves. |
 |
| When we tired of the air guitar, we headed back outside for fresh air and a beautiful ferris wheel ride. |
 |
| pretty nice view, right? |
 |
| You gotta love date night. |
 |
| I ordered Susannah some new "back to school" clothes and they arrived this week. Here she is modeling her new sweater. |
 |
| When did she become this little girl? |
 |
Is she really starting school next month?? How can this be???
|
Today we had amazing sunny weather and warm temperatures, so we drove to the mountains to see the fall colors. It was the most beautiful autumn landscape I've ever seen in person. Pictures coming next week! Love and miss you all!
Oh my goodness!! This looks like SO much fun!!!!! These are such great pictures! Give Susannah my love!! <3 Miss you all so much! Tell Peter we say hi!!! So happy he LOVES his new job!!
ReplyDelete