Last Saturday, Peter and I were feeling the sting of college football deprivation, so after spending an hour fighting over the computer for ESPN.com access, we decided to cheer ourselves with a bike ride. We rode over to the Rhine river to check out the festival that was being held there. The Rhine river serves as the border between Germany and France and both sides of the river are huge public parks that are often venues for public events. (concerts, sporting events, ect.) After checking out the French side, we rode our bikes over the bridge shown in the next pic to see what the German side had to offer. We found more than enough deliciousness to lift our spirits.
This is just a small example of what the German vendors had to offer. It was fried food lover's heaven!
And of course, the kids have to eat too. I couldn't resist posting this next pic because it might be the first time I've understood anything in German.......reminds me a little bit of a kid's meal in the states.
After surveying all the options, we started with some "fried crab bites." We tried to order just one, but since the vendor didn't understand French or English, we ended up with a few. Good thing they were delicious! And of course, who can resist a Coca Lite in a bottle? (If only they had crushed ice, I would have thought I was at Charlie Joseph's.)
Here we are with our lunch (and dinner). Corn on the cob with butter and spices, a huge sausage/hot dog for Peter, and an Alsatian potato pasta called Spaetzle with Hollandaise sauce. And of course, a super-sized beer. Yum.
And I wonder why my jeans aren't fitting as comfortably as they did when we left DC??
And finally, the most random pic from the day.......An extremely small car piled high with instruments. (someone was driving this around the park and they were wearing a serious face.....not a clown.) Who can guess?
Hello from Poland!
ReplyDeleteWe fully understand your football withdrawals. We bought a subscription to ESPN 360 (their website is https://europe.espn360.com/espn360/console) so we can watch the Wolverines and Buckeyes every weekend.
Sounds like you guys are enjoying the Olmsted experience as much as us!
Ann & Eric Parthemore
Poznan, Poland
http://parthemoresinpoland.com
Peter's meal looks like heaven on a plate.
ReplyDelete