Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Something Happy and Something Sad

First, the something happy ......

My friend Julie invited me over to bake traditional alsatian "bredle" which translates to "small cakes." They are what we would call in America Christmas cookies. These cookies are a huge part of the Christmas tradition here and it was such a treat to learn from Julie, and after all of our hard work,


the cookies turned out beautifully:


Before I left, Julie explained how I should store the cookies and how, if stored properly, they would last through the month of December. Ha.......a month.........our cookies barely survived one evening. I'm already looking forward to teaching mom to make them when she is here next week.

Now, for the sad part. For those of you who have been friends with me for several years, I must warn you that the following images may be emotionally difficult.

This is the official good-bye to the Celica:

She still looks good after 12 years, doesn't she?


She was a faithful companion through High School, College, Grad School, and a new marriage that took us to 4 different cities in 5 years. It was painful to leave her at the garage, naked, with no license plate, no extra sunglasses in the glove compartment, no directions to Lake Martin and Destin in the center console.




Apparently, her life isn't over though. According to the mechanic who bought her , she will be continuing her new international lifestyle in Africa as soon as she receives her new transmission.

Thanks for the wonderful ride! You will be missed and remembered.

1 comment:

  1. As Boyz to Men once said, it really is so hard to say goodbye to yesterday. I'll always remember the Celica. Good times.

    ReplyDelete