Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Good Ole' US of A

Back in August, I had the opportunity to return to the States to visit family and friends. We were so thankful for this opportunity, especially since the pregnancy hormones had made me really miss my mama..... and tropical smoothie...... and Target......and frozen yougurt...... and mexican food ..........and grandmama's cornbread .........and a whole host of other things. Peter even managed to make it back for a much more limited time period. So here are some highlights from home sweet home.

Two of my best childhood friends were pregnant as well when I was in town. I was so excited to be able to go to Lyndsey's baby shower. It was a great afternoon.


Here we are with the mothers who have watched us grow together from 1st grade to the mom's-to-be we are today. (Technically Lyndsey is already a mom now.......congrats on beautiful Eliana Lyndsey!)


Much to my surprise, after leaving Lyndsey's shower, my mom had planned a surprise shower for me with our family. I was so shocked and happy to see all these decorations when we arrived to my grandmother's house.


The reality that a baby was in our immediate future hit home in a new way as I opened all of these tiny clothes.



In addition to baby showers, I saw lots of good friends like Elizabeth and Jonathon.

Hillary and Shannon.

And Peter and I even went to "Boomsday" in Knoxville with our friends Amy and Anthony

We also had the privilege of eating our friend Anthony's BBQ. Can't get more American than a lunch of pulled pork sandwhich, coleslaw, and baked beans around a picnic table on a sunny September day. If you are ever in Maryville, TN, check out his place. It is located in an old service station and is called "Full Service BBQ." It's awesome BBQ...'nuff said.

It is mouth-watering good......even for a girl who was vegetarian before the pregnancy.

Mom and I had a fun mother-daughter lunch on the lake with Amy and her mom. It was a great day made greater by the waiter giving us free dessert when he realized we were both pregnant.


We also spent an afternoon at Lyndsey's parents house, where there were more presents for Baby Mallory!


Lyndsey's mom Betty was even thoughtful enough to give us a bib with French vocabulary on it. The baby has to learn the language of her birth country of course!


All in all, it was a wonderful trip that did my heart good. Thanks to everyone who made it so special. After such good quality time with friends and family I was more than ready to head back to France for another year. It made leaving more sweet than bitter, since I actually found that I missed lots of things about our new home while I was away.........the vegatable market, fresh bread, walking everywhere, and using the language to name just a few.

Oh yeah, I know we promised pictures from "National Lampoon's European Vacation" starring Peter and Hollis Mallory, but Peter has been swamped with school lately. Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment