Thursday, June 14, 2012

What I saw Part deux

Well, after Guam we headed north to towards Japan and the weather went from sunny South Pacific to chilly spring, Asia gloom.   Our first stop was Okinawa, Japan.  During WWII my grandfather served as a Sea-bee on Okinawa and it was awesome to go there and think about the history of the place.  I have now served on both continents (and both countries) where both my Grandfathers fought in WWII.  After a good history lesson it is always good to explore the area.  Of course, all my friends in Strasbourg know this leads to a bunch of pictures of food....yep, you're right!

  
 I had the opportunity to dine at an authentic Japanese style "cook at the table" BBQ restaurant.  I actually hit several of these restaurants throughout my trip, but this one was the first.  Here's the deal - You get a certain selection of raw meets (beef, pork), various sauces, vegetables and unlimited drinks (including beer) for 90 minutes....Sign me up!  I know who is going to come out on top on this one!

Here's the BBQ and just the beginning of 90 minutes of three large Americans taking out a small farm's worth of livestock.


The menu had lots to offer, including ice cream at the end, but before we set off for dessert there was one piece of meat we had to try.....raw Horse sashimi.  Raw Horse meat...man I'm all over that (sorry Billy Boy).
Our next stop was Pohang, South Korea.  The best way to describe Pohang is to take Dr. Seuss's "The Lorax" and remove any  of the good parts. 
South Korea was interesting though, despite the smog, sleet and gray gloom that shadowed over our 2 days there.  With that said, the people were awesome!   We had lunch at a mom and pop Korean BBQ joint where the old woman came and cooked the food for us- because we had no idea what we were doing.  She even brought us table water, which is sitting next to me in the photo (Remember on your next trip to Pohang to order the bottled water!)
We had a great time though.  We sat on the floor, with our legs crossed under this table that we barely fit under, I'm sure we ate some weird food, but it was awesome and the experience was worth it.  

Much more to come.  I spent almost a month in Sasebo, Japan and I've got a few pics from the adventures there.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment