This post starts off with our first day of homeschooling and social distancing and as I was adding the photos, I marveled at how quickly normal has evolved over the past two weeks. What we did on that first day would be considered absolutely crazy now. The rapid pace of change is just one of the many unusual aspects of life during COVID-19. I've been trying to keep a journal to document this time as I know we will look back on it for the rest of our lives. We hope all of you are healthy and adjusting. Here is a glimpse of our last two weeks:
 |
| Our first day of home-school we actually spent the morning at a local cafe so our housekeepers could come one last time. The girls loved getting started on their packets from school. We went to Barnes and Noble after that and picked up so books for all of our new free time. (Like I said, I would NEVER think of doing this with them now, but on that day it still felt ok.) |
 |
| We are lucky because we have a little bird sanctuary/park with hiking trails and a creek in our neighborhood. We met friends there the first few afternoons of home-schooling as our PE/field trip time. |
 |
| Once again, that was week 1. Now we aren't meeting friends, even at a safe distance, just to be as careful as possible. But those first few afternoons were really fun. |
 |
| The first Friday of social distancing was the peak of the cherry blossoms in DC. We had never braved the crowds in years past, but this year, we headed down to the tidal basin to check out the beautiful blooms. |
 |
| And see the Jefferson Memorial |
 |
| It wasn't too crowded and we were able to keep a safe distance from other visitors. We had a great afternoon. |
 |
| In hindsight I wish I had put the girls in dresses because we took the most beautiful pictures while we were there. |
 |
| These two have been so sweet and loving to each other through all this. I'm really proud of how they haven't killed each other yet. ;) |
 |
| Beauty |
 |
| The trees were so breathtaking, I understood the hype immediately. |
 |
| I couldn't stop with the pictures. |
 |
| We were so glad that we went because they closed it the next day as the Saturday crowds were too big. |
 |
| This was our view from a bench where Peter and I rested while the girls ran around. |
 |
| Then we had a couple of family rounds of "Mother May I" and a foot race between Peter and Susannah. SA judged. ;) |
 |
| We have introduced the girls to the Huxtable Family and they love it! They beg to watch it every night. |
 |
| We spent Sunday afternoon hiking around Oxen Hill Farm, a state park near our house that has since been closed to the public. |
 |
| We were the only people there besides a park ranger and the animals. We brought carrots to feed the horses. |
 |
| I made a huge batch of chocolate chip spinach pancakes so that Sarah Avery could have at least one veggie in her diet to boost her immune system. |
 |
| We took an afternoon field trip another day to Huntley Meadows Park. We had an amazing time and saw so much wildlife. |
 |
| Including this mama goose sitting on her eggs, several bull frogs and frog eggs, ducks, fish, a water moccasin and huge snapping turtles. |
 |
| SA and I do our calendar everyday as part of our home-school lesson. Her spelling and writing are already improving! |
 |
| Susannah is enjoying her math problem-of-the-day challenges that she is sharing with some friends. |
 |
| This past Friday was a special day because both the girls had zoom meetings with their class. It made me cry to hear all of their little voices so excited to see each other and their teachers. |
 |
| Sarah Avery was such a big girl and didn't want us in the office when she was on her call. ;) |
And now Saturday has come and almost gone. The girls have played Barbies all day while Peter and I did housework and paperwork. We send our love to all of you from Virginia. It is a strange, sad time, but we hope that you are finding bright spots of love and joy in the midst of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment