Thursday, February 6, 2014

Tel Aviv, Israel

Last week I took a work trip to Tel Aviv, Israel.  What an eye opening experience! Tel Aviv is a beautiful Mediterranean beach city in the middle of a region with all kinds of issues. My job there was part of a bi-lateral working group focusing on regional security themes.   Of course, there's no better way to address security themes than to see them first hand. 
 
First off, here are some photos from my hotel room.  It was a lot different than dark and cold Germany.  Obviously, Whitney was very happy to know that I was soaking up the sun and salt air. 
 



Our first day consisted of a trip up to the Golan Heights.  I didn't take my camera, but hopefully the map below will put it in perspective.  The four hour drive from Tel Aviv to the Golan Heights was like taking a trip through the Bible.  We passed the field where Armageddon will take place (according to our hosts), the Sea of Galilee and sights that shaped world religion as we know it today.  We ended up at the top of Mt. Hermon, the northernmost and highest point in Israel. 
 
 

The photo below really paints the picture of the security reality for Israel.  One guy I was with compared the country to the movie "Starship Troopers."  Everywhere we went we saw armed IDF soldiers...waiting at a bus stop, out to dinner, at the beach.  Pretty wild.  As a reminder, military service is mandatory for all Israeli citizens, even people with dual citizenship.  One Israeli officer I worked with was from Massachusetts. 


One warm, sunny morning we visited the Palmach museum in Tel Aviv.  The Palmach contributed significantly to Israeli culture and ethos, well beyond its military contribution to their independence in 1948. Its members formed the backbone of the Israeli Defense Forces high command for many years, and were prominent in Israeli politics, literature and culture.  The museum tour provided the best historical lesson that I've ever had regarding the founding of the state of Israel.  A little biased, of course, but very informative. 


Overall it was a great opportunity to see such a historical place with such contemporary controversy.  It would almost be a nice place to visit except for the occasional rocket attacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment