Monday, January 4, 2010

Skiing in the Alps!

Whit and I just returned from an amazing New Year's getaway in the Bavarian Alps. I never thought I would learn to snow ski, much less snow ski in the Alps, but it happened and I didn't break any bones, just that Naval Aviator ego.

We rendez-vous'ed with the "Olmsteders" from St. Petersburg Russia. We stayed in Garmisch, Germany, near the Austrian border, for our winter reprieve. Our friends were eager to get us on the mountain, but...

...before trekking up to 10,000 feet we took a day long lesson to refamiliarize Whitney (elegant as always)

...and for me to learn how to stand up on one ski, which was followed by standing up on two skiis...which was followed by a slow speed collision with my ski school classmates.


Nonetheless, we got the hang of stopping and turning...all you really need right!?


So as not to break a trend, we have some food pics of a true Bavarian dinner that helped us refuel. German Pils and a couple of plates of fried animal feet (supposedly pork) is a great way to celebrate with friends.

Coming soon...More Skiing in the Alps and New Year's adventures!

1 comment:

  1. I find it hard to believe that this is the same little peter that help me take flowers to the nursing home during Christmas. Peter we are very proud of you and all your accomplishments. Jerry and Libby Rigby jrigby@charter.net or jrigby@tigerrags.com

    ReplyDelete