Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Snow Days

Peter and I have experienced many significant changes since moving to France. The language, the culture, the driving, and the etiquette to name just a few. One of the most difficult adjustments however, has definitely been the weather. In the past month, I think we have seen the sun 3 times. This is not an exaggeration. A friend described it perfectly today when she said, "living in Strasbourg in January is like living inside a foggy snow globe." This description is pretty accurate. For southerners who are accustomed to over 300 days a year of fun in the sun, this has been one of our least favorite changes. The one thing that makes all the gloom worth it though, is the beauty and fun that comes with snow. Strasbourg is even more charming and beautiful when it is snow covered:



It was so fun to watch all the action in the park across from our apartment. We saw cross country skiers, snow ball fights, snow men, and of course, the kids in our neighborhood spent every afternoon taking advantage of the one tiny hill for sledding.



No child was more excited about the snow than this guy though:

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,
    I just wanted to tell you that as of today, January 27, 2010, at 10:54am of the local time, I saw a ray of sunlight in Strasbourg, more particularly in south-west Schiltigheim. It was beaming right in to the kitchen of our apartment. It got me so confused (and blinded), I was like: What the hell is this??!!
    It´s over now, so I just hope you didn´t miss this moment and drew some energy for the next days (or weeks?!!:-(...
    Nadia

    ReplyDelete