Thursday, September 20, 2012

And we thought 85 degrees was hot........

It is HOT in Southern California.   And it has been HOT since late July.   I know that in other parts of the country, 80 and 90 degree temperatures are normal, but in those regions, air conditioning is common.   Here, especially on Coronado Island, air conditioners are very rare.  I know I was complaining about the heat in our last post, but after our 105 degree Saturday last weekend, I had to whine a little bit more.  ;)  

On the bright side, Peter's window unit purchase has saved our lives and our sanity.   On Saturday afternoon it really was 105 degrees on the island.   We fluctuated between sweating it out in the stifling living room with our only television so we could watch college football and hanging out in our bedrooms where the AC was working hard to keep it a crisp and cool 80 degrees.   Sunday it cooled back down into the 80's so we are thankful for that.   But we are also sooooo ready for the Coronado weather that we fell in love with last fall.   I want to wear long pants and bring a little jacket with me everywhere. 

Now that I'm finished with my weather report, I will share a few photos from last week.   Susannah has finally come full circle from her beach fears and she now loves the sand and the water.   We have discovered that the bay is much better for family afternoons because:  1.  We can find shade.   2.  There is a playground.  3.  Susannah doesn't have to worry about the waves.   Here are some shots from our last outing to the bay......

Susannah sported her first side ponytail.

She was so brave and headed straight for the water after we arrived.

She found all sorts of cool things to put in her bucket.

It was a great afternoon.  Look at the confused look on Dada's face.  This isn't West Point Lake Dada, It's SoCal.

Remember how I was complaining about Saturday's temperatures?   Well, my friend Brittany and I weren't satisfied with the heat at the beach.   No, we wanted to torture ourselves even more so we headed inland, away from the sea breezes, straight to the desert, to run a half-marathon trail run.   It was tough.....very little shade, lots of rocks and tree roots and even a creek or two that we had to cross.   Lots of fun and very beautiful, but very tough.    The coolest part was that it was a racing series put on for women, by women.   So it was girls only.   Very supportive environment with lots of encouragement going on all along the out and back course.   

This picture captures perfectly just how relentless that sun was towards the end of the race. 

These views made the heat worth it.

This was Brittany's first half marathon and she was a trooper. 

Here we are finishing.   "Where is the water????"

Since it was an all girls race, they gave us flowers and chocolate at the finish.   It was a fun morning.   We were proud of ourselves for pushing through the tough conditions. 

That is about it for now.   Hope all is well with everybody.   Miss and love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment