Saturday, August 3, 2013

New York City

It's been a while since I've posted a blog.  Whitney does a remarkable job of capturing our lives and our beautiful, wonderful little girl.  However, this week they are up in Knoxville, Tennessee. Dada had to stay behind in order to wrap things up in San Diego. 

On my way to the Southeast, to catch up with Whitney and Susannah, I had a nice little layover at Newark airport.  With a sunrise arrival from San Diego I decided to visit New York City.  I had never been and wanted to walk the streets of my people. 

So, what's going on in NYC at 7AM....The Today Show, of course!!  So, leave New Jersey (always a +) and take an adventurous bus ride through the Lincoln Tunnel, which dropped me off in Midtown Manhattan.  A few blocks up Fifth Avenue and I found Al Roker telling dumb jokes on Rockefeller Plaza. 

Crowds and signs prevented a good view of whoever is hosting the Today show nowadays.   So I walked a few blocks east,  west, north, actually it's hard to tell what direction you're going until you look at the street signs and stop checking out every food cart.  Anyways, I was drawn by the sound of live music at 8AM coming from a few blocks away.....

Boom!! Jackpot.  I found the Fox News Network morning show...called Fox and Friends.  That wasn't the best part.  Here it is...the music I heard was Uncle Kracker playing outside their studio with a small crowd gathered around.  What!!!

I walked up and was graciously let in the courtyard by the nice folks at Fox News.  Guess what else??  Yep you got it...they were serving free BBQ, lemonade and had picnic tables set up in front of the concert.  (Don't forget it's still 8 in the morning).  All I got at The Today Show was a couple of nasty stares from New York's finest and a bunch of stupid homemade signs shoved in my face anytime the outside speakers blared "...and outside on the Plaza" from the live Today Show feed.

Not bad after the red eye from San Diego.  Thank goodness that sweet bus driver lady let me take me coffee with me on the trip to Manattan....wait she didn't....oh, and she wasn't sweet.   
 
 

Here are some of the show's hosts.  They were actually really nice and came out and hung out with the crowd. 

 
 
Uncle Kracker was awesome to watch.  He played about 8 songs over the course of an hour and would chit-chat with the crowd in between.  He was a great live performer.   
 
 
After the great time watching the morning shows I walked by Radio City Music hall, then spent a few restful minutes in Bryant Park enjoying the New York atmosphere.  What a cool place. 
Empire State building in the background
So glad I took a few hours to see such a cool city.  Still such much of the city to experience and soak in that I have to go back  ...next time I'll take Whitney.  Life's greatest adventures are best when shared. 


No comments:

Post a Comment